Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"She's got a grip!"

Wow, I went two months without posting.  I had a car accident less than a week after my last post, and let's just say it derailed a whole lot of things, this blog being one.  No serious injuries, and now I am trying to get back in the saddle.

"She's got a grip!"  Oh, how I wish that applied to me.  Sadly, no.  That statement is how I was ushered into parenting.  My oldest child turned 14 yesterday, and I thought about what that nurse said the day she was born, over and over, while celebrating her birthday yesterday.

"She's got a grip!"  It's turned out so prophetic.  She was born by cesarean after an induced labor, during which a moronic doctor broke my water at 4 cm and doomed her into an unfavorable position in which her 9 lb. 13 oz. body was not going to come through my pelvis.  (I had three VBACs later, with babies the same size and bigger, so clearly her size was not the issue.)  Anyway, while she was being suctioned, she got irritated and grabbed the cannula so forcefully that it took two nurses to pry her fingers off of it.

Seconds after her birth, my girl had an opinion and forcefully expressed it.  She knew what she wanted and fought until she got it.  Atta girl!  We should have known then.

All of my children have turned out the same way.  With five of them, clearly we deal with differing personalities, strengths, interests, aptitudes, and yes, failings and weaknesses.  But every single one of them has a clear view of their world, definite opinions and desires, and knows how to express themselves and achieve goals.

I suppose my husband and I could take credit for this, but really, that wouldn't be fair.  All we do is love them and let them tell us who they are.  When they do things the right way, we support and congratulate them.  When they don't, we guide, correct, and sometimes have to punish them.  But what is that except what all parents should do?

They have to choose each day to be people who will achieve or not.  Who will be kind or not.  Who will move forward on the path of life or stagnate.  And most of the time, they choose correctly.

I don't know how the hell I am qualified to have custody of any of these insanely awesome young people.  I hope I make good return to God for the blessings and privileges He has afforded me in sending them to me. 

I feel like I should say more, but my brain is starting to shut down and it's time to nap before I pick up the kids from school and go to work tonight.  Nighty night all!

1 comment:

Andrea Boring said...

You are such a gifted writer sister! And mother! And wife! And friend! So glad you are back in the saddle :)
love you.